Using the uTorrent / Bittorrent Scheduler
As these 2 clients are pretty much identical, they both have the same (although different colors) interface and the Scheduler is also the same for both.
1. Go to Options -> Preferences (or press CTRL+P).
2. Click on the Scheduler category down the left and tick the box to enable the scheduler.
3. You can now set your schedule by clicking on the blocks in the grid.
All blocks default to Full Speed and simply keep clicking on the block to cycle through the other Limited, Turn Off and Seeding Only options. Each block represents 1 hour and starts at 12AM midnight which should be enough for you to set it to your liking. The downside is you have to click each block manually which is a bit of a pain if you have a complicated schedule to configure. There is also the option to set the upload / download rate when running in limited (light green) mode.
Scheduling in Vuze (formerly Azureus)
This is a slightly more involved process because the scheduler component is not built-in into Vuze by default and needs downloading.
1. Go to Tools -> Plugins -> Installation Wizard. Leave the option as “By list from sourceforge.net” and click Next.
2. Find Speed Scheduler in the list and put a tick next to it, then click Next.
3. You can leave the option to install for all users as default or change it if you wish to only the current user. Click Finish.
4. Click the Install button when the Vuze Plugin Installer appears and wait for it to download and install, then click Close twice.
5. Go to Tools -> Plugins -> Speed Scheduler and put a tick in the box to enable it. Click the New Schedule button to the right.
6. Now you can create a new schedule by either choosing to leave or tick the pause downloading / seeding boxes which obviously will start or stop the torrent transfers at the specified times and days. The time increments are smaller in Vuze with 15 minute intervals.
Something the plugin can’t do is span the time across 12AM midnight so you can’t setup a simple start at 11PM and stop at 8AM type schedule. There either needs to be 2 separate schedules (1 up to 11:59PM and another starting at 12AM), or the reverse and tell it not to download or upload from 8AM to 11PM etc.
Setting up multiple schedules is pretty easy and they can also be be disabled or removed. The green tick is there to tell you which schedule is active at the current day and time.
Scheduling in BitSpirit
You might notice the BitSpirit scheduler looks pretty much identical to uTorrent with full, limited, seeding only and off options available.
1. Click on the Options menu -> Preferences.
2. Expand the Advanced tree on the left and click on Scheduler. Then put a tick in the Enable Scheduler box.
3. Click on the required hour boxes in the window to cycle through Full, Limited, Seeding and Off. Hold the mouse button down and drag to change several boxes in one go.
Each box shows a 1 hour interval and the left side starts at midnight, the limited speed settings can be configured in KB from the text boxes below.